Sunday, May 6, 2012

Getting a Good Shot

Today was another thrilling day in my new life as Sherlock's sidekick. We were just solving the case of who the serial murderer was (the taxi driver) when Sherlock slipped away. I realized he had been picked up by the psycho taxi driver and so I went looking for him. I got to the building where Sherlock was being held and looked through two separate windows. I saw Sherlock sitting at a table across from the murderer with two pills in his hands (one of which I later found out was full of poison) and a gun to his head. My army instincts kicked in, and I found myself aiming my gun at the taxi driver. I realized however that due to the refraction of light, my aim would be off. I had to allow for the bending of light from the air through the first pane of glass, then through the second pane of glass, and back to the air. When the incident ray goes through the higher density medium (the glass), it bends toward the normal because the wavelengths shorten and the velocity slows. Then when the light leaves the higher density medium (the glass) and enters the lower density medium (the air), the transverse wave will speed up and the wavelength will increase, bending the transmitted ray away from the medium. It then repeats this process again through the second pane of glass. Fortunately, I was able to adjust my shot in time and shot the serial killer before he killed Sherlock.

No comments:

Post a Comment